Hello! Louise here. I am a documentary photographer, based in Brisbane, Australia, and I have been working as a photographer for around eight years.
I began taking photos as a hobby during high school, and after graduating, decided to study Visual Art and Communication Design at the Queensland University of Technology.
While at QUT I took a few photography subjects as electives, and realised I got much more enjoyment from those classes than the other courses I was enrolled in at the time. So, I made the decision to switch gears – I changed universities after one year at QUT, enrolling in a Bachelor of Photography at the Queensland College of Art, Griffith University in 2009.
Four years of hard work, late nights and endless cups of tea later, I graduated with a Bachelor of Photography with Class 1 Honours, my major being photojournalism and my minor in social documentary.
Since graduating I have worked as a freelance wedding, event and portrait photographer, both on my own and with my partner Lachlan.
I have also been working as a Workshop Assistant for Chris Bray Photography since 2013, and am Social Media Coordinator at CameraPro.
I love that photography gives me the ability to create a narrative through my images. Documenting my travels and sharing the stories of those around me are some of the things I love to capture. I also am passionate about passing on my photographic knowledge and teaching others about how to get the most out of their digital camera.
If you’d like to get in touch, drop me an email at – louisewright.photo(at)gmail.com
Here’s some other things I’ve achieved and been involved in:
2012 – Graduated from the Queensland College of Art with a Bachelor in Photography with Class 1 Honours
2012 – Issue Editor for the Australian Photojournalist. The Australian Photojournalist is an annual journal which seeks to publish stories which aren’t seen in mainstream media in order to create awareness about current key issues in our world. The APJ is the only publication of its kind in Australia.
2011 – Graduated from the Queensland College of Art with a Bachelor in Photography
2011 – Text Editor for the Australian Photojournalist
2012 – Griffith Award for Academic Excellence, for studies in the Bachelor of Photography with Honours
2012 – Queensland Arts Council Photographer for a Year Photographic Scholarship
2011 – Griffith Award for Academic Excellence, for studies in the Bachelor of Photography
– Up Start: 2012 Photography Honours Students Graduation Exhibition, Queensland College of Art, South Brisbane, 2012
– Sunny Side Up, Gallery on the Lane, Southport, 2011
– Departure: 2011 Photography Students Graduation Exhibiton, Queensland College of Art, South Brisbane, 2011
– Finding Biloela: A Photo Documentary, Art Factory Gallery, South Brisbane, 2011
– 66% – A Collaborative Third Year Photography Exhibition, Queensland College of Art, South Brisbane, 2011
– unFamiliar, Queensland College of Art, South Brisbane, 2010
– Punctum, Bari Festival, Queensland College of Art, South Brisbane, 2010
– A Collective Sigh, Queensland College of Art, South Brisbane, 2009
– 2008 Photomedia Students Showcase, Queensland University of Technology, Kelvin Grove, 2008
PHOTOGRAPHIC PUBLICATIONS –
– Animal City: Ekka 2011 – The Argus, 2011
– Biloela: Student Photography Story Feature – The Central Telegraph, 2011
– A State of Emergency: Queensland Flood Crisis – The Argus, 2011
My work has also been published by a variety of my clients, such as The Australian Lung Foundation, St Paul’s Anglican School at Bald Hills, Artslink Queensland and Tomkins Commerical and Industrial Builders.
Images: Chris & Jess Bray